Monday, June 1, 2009

I have 6 Figures...

So I used to say, one day I'd like to have 6 figures...

So how funny when I realize last night that I have...

6 figures in debt =/ (months of being unemployed, rent, school loans, bills, fun money, and just-because-I-feel-like-it-spending)


Of course this is not funny and nothing to be boastful or brag about...

Miles yesterday said that we all have a story and we go through things so that we can help others with our story... so here I go.... hope this can help someone else out there...

Listening to Dave Ramsey last night on the radio, I decided to look into our financial picture again. We have been on the DR plan but have relaxed a bit after being able to live on what we have on hand and no longer swiping Credit Cards. We paid off $12,000 in credit card balance within 3 months. That is HUGE as we lived on credit cards for our needs... but honestly for some enjoyment, too! We also have $1000 stashed for emergency, just as DR says to do - another huge as we used to bounce on our account for over withdrawing of money. Then with these accomplishments, came the "Oh, we're not so bad anymore, let's spend a bit." Big big NO NO!!!

So last night, I wrote the guy. With the hundreds of emails that he gets, I don't know if I will ever get a response. I'll post that letter at the very end of all this to give you a chance to respond to it.

So anyway, during our couples devotion today, I shouted out, "Open the bible to Psalms 107 (amount of debt money we have), there night be a message"... sure enough... as I read it out loud to the hubby, I smiled and I cried through it all (prtty long chapter)... but just the perfect message for someone who faces that mountain of debt. You must read it for yourself to appreciate it.

It brought peace to my heart. God is still so soooooo good! We racked up the bills and He provides comfort! It sucks to admit that I/we did this to ourselves. Even the period of unemployment was our choosing. But God proves that He is here regardless and He shows himself in the most unexpected ways. If 107k was not the number, I would not have received that comfort and blessing that my husband and I needed most.

So what should be your take away from this?

Be wise with your spending.
Be wiser with your non-spending and plan.
Cut up your credit cards. Live within your means (cash).
Trust God to deliver you from your bondage - whatever it may be. Ours is $ debt. What is yours?

No comments:

 

My life vision is to use my spiritual gifts and enthusiasm (Greek for God-within) to glorify God and bring heaven down to earth so that all may know that there is an infinite God that unleashes the potential in each of us for the greater good.