Thursday, November 4, 2010

'Christian' and 'SAHM' labels are not for sale...

why do these two groups use these labels as a 'Get out of Jail' card, permit to preferential treatment, or a pity cry above all other's pity cry?

Randomly looking @ Craigslist ads looking for our next place to call home.... and what is up with all the "oh pity me/help me" w/the words, "Christian" and "SAHM" attached to them?

When did people like me become a handicap?

First off, it is a blessing to be a Christian and a SAHM, not a curse, excuse, or giving us the right for other's pity or consideration.

Secondly, we SAHMs are not a protected class. Religion and Sex may be but not a stay at home mother by occupation, or any occupation by that matter.

Thirdly, isn't it things like these that make people - especially non-believers - say, "If that's what a Christian (or SAHM) is, then I don't want to be one." Asking for pity is a poor reflection of a great and mighty powerful God we Christians claim to believe in.

Lastly, being a Christian and a SAHM is by choice, not a handicap. No one in the right mind is MADE a Christian or MADE a SAHM so please feel free to get out the pity pool if one is in it using these two words to validate their presence there.

Christian or not, we all hit hard times. SAHM or not, money is tight. But should we put Jesus and motherhood under a bus for some leg up with the general public? God says we are equal in His eyes and loves us all the same. If we placed such an ad and He read it, should He be drawn more to Christians and SAHMs? What would He tell the author of the ad?

Am I just heartless to think this way of the pity ads? Yes I know, I need more compassion. I'm working on it. I didn't claim to be perfect =)

No comments:

 

My life vision is to use my spiritual gifts and enthusiasm (Greek for God-within) to glorify God and bring heaven down to earth so that all may know that there is an infinite God that unleashes the potential in each of us for the greater good.